Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for December 6, 2017.
- Strategic Planning Committee to meet Dec. 6, hold forum Dec. 7: WKU’s Strategic Planning Committee will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday (Dec. 6) in room 3023 of the Downing Student Union and will host an open forum at 2:45 p.m. Thursday (Dec. 7) in the Faculty House.
- WKU to confer degrees to 1,401 during Fall 2017 Commencement on Dec. 9: WKU will confer degrees and certificates to 1,401 graduates during its Fall 2017 Commencement on Saturday (Dec. 9) at Diddle Arena. More: Commencement parking
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU’s Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
Volleyball: WKU Lands Program-Record Four All-Region Selections; Player of the Year, Coach of the Year: Under the guidance of AVCA South Region Coach of the Year Travis Hudson, WKU Volleyball saw two more firsts for the program as Alyssa Cavanaugh was named the Red and White’s first-ever Region Player of the Year and a record four Lady Toppers earned All-Region recognition. Joining Cavanaugh as a four-time All-Region selection was fellow senior Jessica Lucas. Rachel Anderson collected her second All-Region title and Sydney Engle earned her first distinction, landing on the honorable mention squad.
- Football: First-Teamers Iyiegbuniwe, Ray Headline List of 15 All-C-USA Honorees: WKU Football had 15 student-athletes earn spots on the 2017 All-Conference USA squads as voted on by league coaches, the conference announced Tuesday. The Hilltoppers have had at least that many in all four years as a league member, with 15 in the program’s inaugural C-USA season in 2014, 17 in 2015 and a program-record 21 in 2016. Linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe and left guard Brandon Ray each earned their first appearances on the First Team.
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers’ Game Against Indiana State Moved to 11 a.m.: WKU Hilltopper Basketball’s home game against Indiana State on Dec. 16 has officially been moved to an 11 a.m. CT tip-off at E.A. Diddle Arena. The game, originally scheduled for 2 p.m., was altered with the WKU Football program now slated to compete the same day in the AutoNation Cure Bowl in Orlando, Fla., at 1:30 p.m. CT.
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Schedule Fan Bus to UAB: Lady Topper Basketball has announced that it will sponsor a fan bus trip for WKU’s game at UAB on Jan. 13, at 6:30 p.m. (CT). The fan bus will load on South Campus at noon and is scheduled to depart for the four-hour trip at 12:30 p.m. that day. The cost for each person will be $60, and that includes both the bus fare as well as a ticket to the game.
- Area students present, compete at regional STLP event: Area students gathered in E.A. Diddle Arena at WKU on Monday for the Student Technology Leadership Program (STLP) regional competition.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2, 2018. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or email@example.com.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Backward & Forward: 20th Century Quilts (through Jan. 22); New Kentuckians (through Feb. 2); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Library Special Collections Exhibit: Kentucky in the Great War (through Dec. 8). Kentucky Building’s Jackson Gallery. Contact Jonathan Jeffrey, (270) 745-5265.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection; Jack Lunt Memorial Juried Art Exhibition (through Jan. 20). Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
Wednesday, Dec. 6
- 6 p.m.: Strategic Planning Committee Meeting. Downing Student Union, room 3023. Contact Julia McDonald, (270) 745-4269.
Thursday, Dec. 7
- 2:45 p.m.: Strategic Planning Committee Open Forum. Faculty House. Contact Julia McDonald, (270) 745-4269.
- 3:45 p.m.: University Senate Meeting. Faculty House. Contact Eric Kondratieff, (270) 745-8861.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium show: Celebrations for a Long Winter’s Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Friday, Dec. 8
- Final Exams End.
- 3 p.m.: Hilltopper ROTC Commissioning Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3005. Contact ROTC, (270) 745-4293.
- 7 p.m.: Intercultural Student Engagement Center Graduation Celebration. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact ISEC, (270) 745-5066.
Saturday, Dec. 9
- 7:30 a.m.: WKU Hilltopper Classic. Garrett Conference Center. Contact Forensics, (270) 745-6340.
- 9:30 a.m.: Fall 2017 Commencement: Gordon Ford College of Business, College of Health and Human Services and University College. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 2 p.m.: Fall 2017 Commencement: Potter College of Arts & Letters, College of Education and Behavioral Sciences and Ogden College of Science and Engineering. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 4 p.m.: Residence Halls Close for Winter Break. Note: Barnes-Campbell, Bemis Lawrence, Northeast and Bates-Runner halls will remain open. Halls reopen at 8 a.m. Jan. 18. Contact Housing, (270) 745-4359.
Sunday, Dec. 10
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium show: Celebrations for a Long Winter’s Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What’s Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted with permission from WKU News